Sunday, June 25, 2006

outpost

Well it's been an absolutely gorgeous and fun-filled day around here. There's been an invitation in our Yahoo LMAO group to post pictures of our mailboxes. Since I live in an apartment and our boxes are battleship grey rows and I've never done anything to spruce it up, I figured now was a perfect time to do just that! (it helps to click on the pics, to enlarge a bit)









I thought the boxes were made of metal I could stick a magnet to - I even tried it with some weak magnet strips and I thought it was working, but no, alas and alack. So I duct taped the 'children of free will' plaque on, put all my names and aliases in the slot (I had left it empty for YEARS...another story, I had good reason to be as anonymous as possible but I'm feeling quite safe these days), and added Gordon as sentinal. Below you see Gordon and his little pal lounging around before I put him out to work. I made him a year? two? ago. (click to enlarge pics)











I am willing to lose this artwork - it is in a public space, not too heavily trafficked, but I do live on a busy street and who knows what-all goes on in the wee hours around here. Someone could make off with some or all of it. I had a blast doing it up though....the plackard was an evolvement (natch):

For some reason I decided to photocopy some of my drawings on saturday before I left work. For some reason today I started thinking about gel transfers. So I played alllll afternoon with just that!!

You can see how it's done on these webpagesby a very crafty and helpful bloke. I must figure out how to contact him and thank him. I tried transfers several weeks ago with minimal luck. I kept at it today and am thrilled with the results.

The plackard is a piece of wood, about 4 x 5". My friend Jacque works in a woodshop called Trebuchet. They do all sorts of things...Jacque is an awesome artist...and she brings me all manner of useful scraps from her shop. So today I thought about using the wood as a backing for the transfers. The Children Of Free Will (magnets I picked up from a job site - when I painted houses - the tenants didn't want their collection of fridge magnets) is first painted with tempura (wait a second..isn't that japanese food?)...tempera paints. Oh hang on. Yeah, tempera. Then I used acrylic gel medium over that, and then did the transfer and then smeared on more gel medium for a glossy finish. The transfer is a drawing I did for an ATC swap and had, for some reason, made photocopies of on saturday before sending the ATCs off in the mail. I had no idea I was going to do transfers any time in the near future!

I see many transfers in my future.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tonje said...

Hey, that looks great on your mailbox!! All you have to do now, is make one for each of your neighbours.....

T.

Monday, June 26, 2006 3:27:00 AM  
Blogger Etayne said...

oh.. I love Gordon!
I agree with Tonje, your neighbor's boxes look really sad now compared to yours.

Good morning over there in Oregon!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 3:29:00 AM  
Blogger Victoria Koldewyn said...

ha haaa! thanks girls...I think I need a real summer vacation, two solid weeks of art art art. I actually would make a whole menagerie.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home